Re: AO-7 requirements

Emily, Robert and Angel:

Well I can look at AO-27&SO-50, but I have the impression they are not
reliable or well scheduled (I will pay more attention to bb-reports).  My
operation will be at best as convenience dictates when one is on a 17-day,
5900-mile road journey.  But I am looking at taking my old laptop so maybe
I will have predicts available and I might even give a try at incorporating
the Unitrac-2000 for auto-tuning of the FT-817.  All depends on my
available time and success in that interface.  That could also make a
difference for AO-7 operation, though I understand the issue with simplex
operation.  Perhaps, I will try it out at home in advance with the FT-847
listening in parallel.  {I do know that the FT-817 works well for FM-Leo
sats: ala the old UO-14; I made some contacts using it and the arrow in the
past}

Leo operation may have to be done mobile using mag-mounted whips?  Not sure
how good that approach is.  Ham radio is secondary to the trip objective so
we will see.  It is mostly for entertainment for the relief driver (me)!
All is subject to the acceptance of the primary driver (wife)!
Sooo...stayed tuned for future developments!

Thanks!
73, Ed - AL7EB