Re: ISS APRS status?

I donno.  This  is like mailing yourself QSL cards in case the other guy
doesnt.  The global APRS network is dependent on honest data.  Faking it
because of local inadequacies in the local SATgates is not a good idea.
It causes us to loose confidence in the Global APRS FINDU database...
de WB4APR

>>> PA3HIL - Sil <pa3hil@AMSAT.Org> 2/9/04 3:04:38 PM >>>
HI Emily,

Yes... you perfectly correct. An error on my part. I came up on the
local
packet/APRS network without looking first at the text in my beacon
comment.
Sorry about that. My foolish mistake.

However, let me answer your question. Why do I have the string
"RS0ISS*"there? There is a good reason for this. Down here, ISS (and
PCSat
when it's working) packets that are gated to findu nearly always pass
through intermediate ground stations first. This means the that "*"
after
"RS0ISS-3" gets stripped out by the station that forwards the signal to
an
igate. The result is that none of the ISS APRS activity down here
appears on
the ARISS website. Adding RS0ISS* to my beacon text solves this.

Best Wishes

Sil - ZL2CIA (ex PA3HIL)
However,