Re: After AO-40

Spare a thought for us poor souls down in deepest darkest Africa! The LEO
sats are an utter dead loss for us - we are currently down to about 7
satellite operators here, with only maybe 3 relatively active. We can not
even HOPE to work another country on the LEOs - there are no active
countries within the footprint! The only other African country that I know
of that is active on the LEO's is Gabon (TR8CA) and he is only barely
workable by the Johannesburg stations. Down on the SE coast there is
absolutely nothing! With a linked 2m repeater system covering our coastline
from Cape Town to East London, and plans under way to stretch it right up to
Durban and further inland, LEO satellite operation holds no interest to the
general ham population of South Africa (only around 3000 hams, with less
than 1000 being active out of a national poulation in excess of 40 million!)
I don't know of anyone working a LEO in South Africa since myself and ZS6JON
worked UO-14 and FO-29 just for the hell of it!!!!

Our only outlet is the "serious" satellites. If AO-40 proves irrecoverable,
hopefully AMSAT-DL will be able to bring the P3E launch forward. Also
hopefully AMSAT-NA will get this mickey mouse ECHO out of the way soon so
they can concentrate on a real satellite!

I am sure I speak for all the South African sat ops when I say to the AO-40
control team : THANK YOU ver very much for all your efforts to revive AO-40!
Stacey, Peter and the rest of you guys, your efforts are GREATLY appreciated
down here at the bottom of Africa - let's hope things happen sooner rather
than later....

73 de Barry ZR2DX
(EX ZR6DXB)
KF26TA - Port Elizabeth,South Africa
QRV 50 - 1296 MHz SSB/FM/Digital   AO-40 Satellite
Member : SARL, SA AMSAT
Secretary, Port Elizabeth Amateur Radio Society