RE: Be prepared for the worse

Use the "AO-40" investments terrestrially.. VHF/UHF/Microwave weak signal
work is quite fun.  I'd imagine in Europe the opportunities for working
Tropo at 2.4 GHz would be quite impressive..  Many people also do ATV at 2.4
GHz, you'd have a hot receiving setup right off the bat with that...In
Europe some hams are doing DVB over ham radio, and that'd be extremely cool
to experiment with in the meantime.  I've often thought I should be the
first ham in America to send High-Def ATV, but the lack of freetime will
stop me of that.

You'd have to build a transmitter to complete any setup, but that'd be fun
too..

The knowledge of antennas I gained from experimenting with helixes, patches,
etc was one of the most enlightening journeys I've ever had in Amateur
Radio, and the few hundreds of dollars I spent were a bargain for what I
learned.  The narrowband patch antenna revealing itself as a very efficient
prime-focus feed I think advanced the amateur science quite a bit.  So there
was/is a lot of good here.

Fred W0FMS