RE: AO-7

On Tue, 3 Feb 2004, John Geiger wrote:

> Has anyone ever run AM on a satellite?  I know that
> the digital modes, and SSTV has been done, but what
> about AM?

Our next pair of satellites will have one with a UHF AM  uplink in the
military UHF band.  This is for backwards compatibility with our school's
boats that have archaic UHF tactical radios.

AM is not power effective, but in this case, we wanted to demonstrate
comms with existing assets.  This satellite is not Amateur, but its twin
is.  Its twin is called RAFT and will have a PCsat digipeater on it
hopefully on 145.825 MHz.  Launch 2005.

Both will only last 6 months as they are being deployed below Space
Station so that they do not become hazards to Station.

Bob, WB4APR