RE: AO-7

At 08:58 AM 2/3/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>Bill,
>
>Question for you/group,
>
>If AO-7 come up in Mode A on one pass, is it predictable that it will come
>up for the next few passes in Mode A for that day, or is every pass random?

No - at this point in it's long history, AO-7 comes out of eclipse and
believes it was just launched.  The mode it choses to start transmitting is
random, however it does seem to favor certain modes depending on the time
of year. For example, starting in November it went for several weeks
exclusively in Mode B, and still seems to statistically favor Mode B.  Last
summer, around the time I started the log, it favored Mode A.  Why this
happens is anyone's guess but I suspect there is some logic that picks one
over the other based on the voltage, which will vary depending on where it
is in relation to the sun when it comes out of eclipse.

>Thinking of the usefulness of using the new lists to annouce what mode it is
>in each pass.  I'd like to work mode A.  Do you listen on Mode B and in the
>absence of a signal, go down to mode A?

Can't be done in advance. If you notice that it is in one mode or the other
when it comes out of eclipse, you can post that.  But about 115 minutes
later the information is history.

I've been running a log for the 9 months - you can see the statistics at
http://www.experthams.com/ao7 along with the log itself.  You will notice
that AO-7 has been 76% of the time in Mode B, however there was a time when
it was running 56% Mode A and 43% mode B.

73,

Emily

>Michael

W0EEC - CM87tm