From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org]On
Behalf Of Emily Clarke
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 10:35 AM
To: Michael Hatzakis, Jr
Cc: 'Emily Clarke'; 'amsat'
Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] 100BaseT Woes

A reply to all who haven't heard but I replaced the Linksys router and the
immediate problem of working the ISS is solved.  But for posterity Mike
asked these questions, so I'll answer them.

>How far is the Linksys from your antenna/rigs?

slant range is about 15 feet to the rigs and 30 feet to the antennas

>How far is the computer you're using the connect to network from your
radio?

6 inches.  But it's not coming from the computer (turn the computer off and
the noise is still there.  Disconnect the cable from the router to the
computer and the noise is still there.) However there is another that
passes 10 feet away at the closest point.

>Where is your antenna in relation to your station?

slant range 18 feet to the mast mounted preamps and 3 feet from there to
the antennas.

>What kind of coax are you using for your feed to the 2 meter ISS radio?

9913 to the pre-amps, and 6 feet of RG-8X from the preamps to the antennas
with the extra forming a balun to prevent desensing.

>What kind of shack ground are you using?

Cold water copper pipe on the underground side of the pressure gauge.  The
pipe goes from the connection point underground in damp soil (we have an
underground spring in the area) 30 feet to the water meter. - ground cable
run is about 18 feet from the rig.  (I'm on the second floor.)  After
entering my shack (home office) it goes to the computer, the 12 volt
supply, my PCR-1000 and my rig (Icom 910H) in that order.

>I just built a new custom shack from scratch and tried to foress these
kinds
>of probelms.  This might need an approach of stepping back and looking at
>the whole setup... I may be able to help

I appreciate it and might take you up on it.  I believe in this case it was
a defective router but possibly the new router just moved the noise to
another frequency.   I plan to use the PCR-1000 today to sweep both bands
once I rig up a sniffer antenna for it.  I am going to have it produce a
chart and then I'll identify every source of noise in 2m/70cm by turning it
on and off and seeing if it toggles.  This should go a long way to discover
what's happening in my local ether.

73,

Emily

W0EEC - CM87tm