Monitoring Marsexpress around Mars

Hello group,

here in Kiel, Northern Germany, we have spent most time during the
Christmas holidays in front of our computer and receiver to collect some
results and experience about the Mars Express.
Unfortunalty we couldn't monitor the transfer into a orbit around Mars.
On the 25th of December we were curious what would happen to the signal
and doppler shift. But we had to deal with Murphy's law. Our receiving
system had a malfunction and the only one who could repair it had to
"join" his family.

But there was the second day:
In time Mars came up and the Mars Express was found. During this monitor
window we did record the frequencies from 11:30 UTC to 19:55 UTC. These
plots can be seen under:

http://www.lernnetz-sh.de/satellit/mars/index.htm

Frequenciese were decreasing continously. Around 15:42 UTC we monitored
an increase of the doppler frequency by 22 kHz which happend again at
16:38 UTC by 5 kHz. Our first assumption was a failure in our receiving
system but we couldn't find any.
This increase in doppler shift was again monitored the next day, the
27th of December, exactly at the same time. This was the proove that
there was no malfunction in our system.

On the 26th of december Mars Express disappeared behind Mars. This can
be seen in the waterfall plot on the left hand side. Also the
degradation of signal caused by the athmosphere can be seen. After 92
minutes the signal came up again when Mars Express left the Mars shadow
again.

On the 27th od December we monitored the signal over 9 hours. No
shadowing by Mars could be seen. This could only mean that we were
looking vertical to the orbit of Mars Express. This is raising some
questions:

Is the orbit of Mars Express rotating so that we are looking vertical to
it on the 27th of December?
Why there is no doppler shift towards higher frequencies?
Has someone any information or details about the orbit of Mars Express?

We only have information about a perigeum of 200 km and an apogeum of
7000 to 10000 km.

73 de Klaus, DF5DU and the team of DL0SHF

--

Klaus Fenger

Kiebitzflehr 6
24616 Brokstedt