FT-847 and PSK31 on satellites

Hi all,

I've been think about trying PSK31, Hellscreiber (sp) and/or SSTV on
AO-40 using an FT-847 (not mine, and not easily available).  I've
found documentation that says that the "data" minjack on the back is
only for HF and that the "packet" miniDIN connector is only for FM on
UHF/VHF.  Are these statements true?  If so, it seems to indicate that
one would have to use the microphone connection for the "sound card
modes" on satellites.

Can anyone verify or contradict the documention I found, from
experience?

73, doug