Re: New radio

Hi Keith,

You probably are seeing more sensitivity on the 910H.  I have the 910H and
I have 9db of attenuation between my bias T and the transceiver.  This is
my receive setup.

                         |--- 6db pad ---- 910H
D/C ---- Bias T -- Splitter
                         |--- 0-20db ----- PCR-1000

In the 910H I then use the built in variable attenuator (Set -ATT) to
adjust the noise level to S0.  Then, when I say I hear the beacon at S9
(with a 60cm dish), it really is S9 over the noise.  For me this
configuration,  along with using the adjustable built in DSP, is a pretty
comfortable way to work it.  The PCR-1000 does not have a variable
attenuator built in so I use a 0-20db variable attenuator from Radio Shack,
our equivalent of Dick Smith.

73 and Seasons Greetings,

Emily

At 10:36 PM 12/17/2003 +0800, Keith Bainbridge wrote:
>I recently bought a new Icom IC 910H to use as my satellite radio, it
>replaces a Yaesu FT 736R.
>Now the drama starts !Over the past few nights I've been listening to
>AO-40's beacon and although it isnt too strong and there is qsb on the
>signal the results are surprising !
>On the IC 910 H the noise level is S7 and it increases to max S9 with a
>received signal from AO-40 however on the FT 736R the noise level is S2 and
>it increases to S6 with a signal that is infinately more strong audio wise
>than on the IC 910.
>Has anyone else compared a radio to the 910 at all. Initially I'm regretting
>spending hard earned cash on a radio that doesnt seem to anywhere near as
>good as my old FT736R.
>The IC910 certainly appears to have good rx performance on terrestial
>signals but VERY disappointing on sats. I will await the return of AO-40
>properly before deciding what to do. Any comments appreciated !
>Cheers  Keith VK6XH
>
>----

W0EEC - CM87tm
http://www.projectoscar.net   http://www.PlanetEmily.com