Re: New radio

Keith,

Sounds like you now have a radio with more
sensitivity, and you will have to decrease the gain of
your downconverter. You do not want to see that much
noise when your are not tuning any signals. Maybe a
fixed attenuator between the downconverter and the
radio can help. Even the disconnection of any preamps
the new radio may have and the use of the radio's
attenuator can do the trick.

Your capability to receive weak signals will be given
by the overall noise figure, and a lot of noise on the
receiver when no signals are tuned doesn't necessarily
mean good performance.

In addition, the calibration of the S-meters makes no
sense once you add gain in front of the radio.

There might be other people out there with experience
on both radios that can give you a better point of
view. I don't own any of those radios.

Good luck, and keep experimenting!

73, Marc N2UO
www.qsl.net/n2uo