Re: Half duplex heresy on FO-29

Hi Drew,

I won't give you heat but I would like to disagree.  It's not about the
bandwidth but rather, will it really help?

I think one of the real joys of working SSB full duplex is hearing your own
signal and managing it's quality successfully.  It is an acquired skill and
it takes time to acquire it.  In the end you become a non-lid and you have
a great experience.  I think we should encourage this rather than try to
accommodate hams by encouraging them to have a user experience that will be
less than enjoyable, frustrating and will likely leave them feeling
isolated and unsuccessful.

In the end, if you want to get new guys up on SSB sats there are some
alternatives. One other suggestion could be to use a low cost all-mode
receiver like the IC-R10 or PCR-1000 as the downlink receiver.  It would
also be a nice idea to encourage I/K/Y to introduce a entry level QRP
version of something like the 910H or 847.

73,

Emily

At 07:38 PM 12/16/2003 -0500, Drew wrote:
>I'm probably gonna catch a lot of heat for this....

W0EEC - CM87tm
http://www.experthams.net/ao7