From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org] On
Behalf Of VEFRH@aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 16, 2003 2:09 PM
To: Advisors@AMSAT.Org; bod@AMSAT.Org; amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org;
projcomm@AMSAT.Org; dave@g4dpz.homeip.net
Cc: ve3frh@AMSAT.Org
Subject: [amsat-bb] President's Letter December.

A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to All AMSAT members around the
world.
What ever your personal religious beliefs may this season bring to you
and
your family both Joy and Happiness and may your "Rigs" never fail and
always be
exactly on frequency!

As we enter into 2004 let us consider ourselves lucky that we are
members of
one of the most technical amateur groups in this world and that through
our
own technical and financial efforts there are a number of satellites
waiting to
be launched in this coming year.

The two satellites that I know are almost ready are our own ECHO and
VUsat
from India.
I am pleased to report that from the regular communications I have had
over
the last two weeks, ECHO is passing final integration and testing with
flying
colors. Many thanks to the teams who have provided components and also
to Jim
White and Mike Kingery who have recently spent much time integrating and

checking testing etc.

I am looking forward to the end of March when we expect the ECHO launch
take place, that is only just over three months from now, and we still
have to
raise $70,737 for the launch campaign. Remember that if you want to be
able to
put your donation against taxes (in the USA) your donation must reach
Martha,
at the AMSAT Office before the first of January.
Don't leave it too late as Martha has some vacation time due!.
I  hope that we can reach the 50% or $55K mark by December 25 and $60K
by
January 1.

VUsat which had some problems in testing, has resolved the nature of the

problems (a filter) and corrections are being made. I understand that a
launch is
possible in the late summer or Fall of 2004. Details of the payloads of
both
ECHO and VUsat may be found on the AMSAT-NA web page,  (www.amsat.org)
and more
details of VU sat on the AMSAT-India Web Page.
An exciting year is ahead.

 Looking back over the past 12 months, I would like to thank our
benefactors,
yes, all of you who have put time, effort or financial help into AMSAT.
Whatever your role, I can tell you that it is very much appreciated. I
will not
single out more people as the list would be very long, but in an
organization
such as AMSAT membership is really only the first step, participation in
any form
is the next, and I might add, very satisfying.
October 2004 will see the completion of my term as President, by then
ECHO
should be in Orbit and you should be working it very easily, but let me
add just
one word of warning, to re-phrase Yogi Berra  " it ain't up and working
'till
it's up and working". Generally our launches and commissioning has been
excellent, but we, like many other organizations in the Space business,
have had
our problems and I hope learnt by them.

To finish this letter where I began, Congratulations to the AMSAT
membership,
you are on the leading edge of technology in many areas.
Consider that only 100 years after Wilbur and Orville, there have been
50
OSCARS in orbit, many successful shuttle flights with Ham Radio on Board
plus the
RS satellites, MIR (Ham Radio and SSTV) and now the ISS with ARISS
(Phase one
and two).
The irony of it is, that we still call ourselves "AMATEURS" can you
imagine
any other amateur group making this sort of Achievement?    Aren't you
proud to
belong?      I am !
Seasons Greetings and 73

Robin Haighton  VE3FRH