Re: Re: [aprssig] Holiday Traveling = 144.39 CTCSS 100

This is probably going to label me as quite weird, but sometimes I like
to listen to 144.39 with no tone squelch.  It's kind of hypnotic
sometimes, hearing packet bursts from various distances and visualizing
all these mobile beacons driving around .. ;-) .. but it's not a
bothersome sound to me in any case.  If I'm driving alone, I might just
leave the radio open and listen for APRS packets, because it's sort of
reassuring to hear a frequency being used and knowing that's keeping at
least one of our bands safe ..

On Tuesday, Dec 16, 2003, at 10:17 US/Central, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> No, APRS continues to work normally.  That is the beauty of VOICE
> ALERT.
> It is like getting a 3rd free radio in the car.  Since you are on APRS,
> everyone knows you are also monitoring 144.39 for VOICE ALERT with
> CTCSS
> 100, so no matter what you are doing on any other freq, they can still
> always call you quickly with PL 100 on 144.39 and ask you what freq you
> are on or ask you to QSY to their working voice channel...

"Oh yeah? Well, I speak LOOOOOOOUD, and I carry a BEEEEEEEger stick --
and I use it too!"  **whop!**   -- Yosemite Sam