Re: Kenwood THF6 vs Icom IC-R10

Hi Ron,

I've both receivers and my TH-F7E (european version of the F6A) is much
better receiver for satellite work.
I use it for my portable and mobile AO-40 station (and also for my FO-29
mobile station). I have compared the F7E with my other receivers (FT-817,
FT-290 and TS-790) and I must say that it hears the same than these
receivers (but with a different background noise because it has a little
wider filter). The attenuator improve very much the reception because the
converters have too much gain (I use a DB6NT downconverter and I am very
happy with it).
But talking about working the FO-29 mobile is another story! I use an old
FT-290R with a 50W PA with mobile 1/4 VHF on the roof of my car for the
uplink and for the downlink I use my F7E with a MFJ-1717 whip that I hold
out of my car thru the driver's window (and moving it I look for the best
satellite signal and with my fingers I tune the little HT). I 've tested
this way with my R10 but it doesn't work because it has not enough
sensitivity to receive the bird and when I try to to transmit, the R-10 is
completely overloaded. The FT-817 has more or less the same sensitivity in
UHF SSB than the F7E, but when I try to transmit with the uplink side the
FT-817 is overloaded (S9+). Working with the F7E I have very good
sensitivity and the receiver is not affected when I transmit with the
FT-290+50W.
I also have worked the FM birds with the F7E in the same way (and also as a
stand-alone TX-RX with a dual band whip and with my Arrow antenna) with lot
of success.
You can see the story working the AO-40 mobile here
http://www.amsat.org/amsat/news/ans.html ,
http://www.havilandtelco.com/~gregwycoff/road.htm ,
http://www2.arrl.org/news/stories/2003/12/03/4/ and of course the full story
in my website www.eb4dka.tk (sorry, the site is in spanish).

You can also see one of the smallest AO-40 receive station (this is also the
receive side of my AO-40 mobile station) here
http://miguel.servihosting.com/eb4dka/ao40uportable.htm

Recently I also have added to my little RX system a little clearspeech DSP
(without speaker model) and the reception is improved dramatically.

Hope this help!

Pedro EB4DKA
www.eb4dka.tk
eb4dka@amsat.org