Re: [aprssig] Holiday Traveling = 144.39 CTCSS 100

On Tue, 16 Dec 2003, Keith Allen asked about VOICE ALERT:

> Can I presume that when the ctcss 100 is engaged on both sides (xmit and
> rx) of the D-700 or D7 , that the only APRS traffic that will make it
> into my radio (TMD-700) are the ones from stations also using the 100
> ctcss tone?

No, ALL packet stations will still be heard by the TM-D700 APRS radio
because the internal TNC is connected before the CTCSS squelch.

> In other words local digipeaters and such that receive my signal will
> not be able to send back due to the 100 hx tone on my receive side.

No, APRS continues to work normally.  That is the beauty of VOICE ALERT.
It is like getting a 3rd free radio in the car.  Since you are on APRS,
everyone knows you are also monitoring 144.39 for VOICE ALERT with CTCSS
100, so no matter what you are doing on any other freq, they can still
always call you quickly with PL 100 on 144.39 and ask you what freq you
are on or ask you to QSY to their working voice channel...