re: Computer controlled radio seen at AMSAT Annual Meeting 03,

A simple web search:

    http://www.google.com/search?as_epq=software+defined+radio

turns up lots of links on this question (including the ARRL project),
many of them good ones.  It's not just a Windows affair, as there's a
GNU project that's been in existence for awhile on this, albeit it's
not particularly amateur-oriented:

    http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuradio/gnuradio.html

They do address the question of wider bandwidths, just so they can
receive standard FM broacast signals and they even mention ancient
code for receiving NTSC video, see their FAQ.  The FAQ does have a
good collection of links for amateur radio implementations.

    http://comsec.com/wiki?GnuRadioFaq

I think that also lists another LINUX based implementation for amateur
radio as well.  I hope to use this technology eventually, perhaps for
an AO-40 uplink??  But i'll need some help on the RF side of things.