RE: Computer controlled radio seen at AMSAT Annual Meeting 03

I'm note quite as enthused as Alan after looking at the specs.  I own a
PCR-1000 and in the short amount of time I have owned it it has taught me
many things about radios and software, most of which has been less than an
ideal "user experience."  Here are some of the problems I foresee with
SDR's at this time:

1) Connections are old technology and require far too many connections
(Parallel port, serial port, sound card) rather than a modern, progressive
connection (USB 2.0 or firewire).

2) Required use of sound cards require drivers, not always available for
the latest operating systems, and not always reliable.  (For example, my 3
year old Sony notebook is no longer supported by WinXP because Sony doesn't
have a driver for it.)

3) The software is unproven and written in Visual Basic (and not even the
latest version.)  Although I don't own the SDR-1000 and it's software, if
the software for the PCR-1000 is any indication there will be many
problems.  The PCR-1000 came with the Icom software which crashed all the
time and conflicted in namespace and file types with the more common Roxio
CDRW software.  It also came with the Bonito software  which was already
outdated as shipped and cost $$$ to upgrade to the latest version.  I also
don't think it is up to commercial standards of quality.  In the end I paid
even more money for a third party package (Talk PCR) that works OK though
it does have some good features for use with AO-40.  Unfortunately this
takes over interrupt priorities and the sound card, so it can't be used
while you are running MixW, or any of the DSP software packages.

4) I disagree that it's relatively cheap.  If you buy the bundled
transceiver and case you end up with an ICOM 703+ but lacking power (1W vs
10W for the 703+), an antenna tuner and a front panel.  You can build a
computer interface for the 703+ for about $20 (or buy Icom's CT-17 for
about $130).  I'd also consider the Icom 706 MKIIG or the Yaseu 897.

5) It appears to me you are stuck with using PC microphones.  Some would
argue they sound terrible - I wouldn't disagree. While I'm sure there are
some very nice commercially available headseats and microphones I'm not
thrilled with the idea of using a keyboard space key as my push to talk
switch.  I'll keep my Heil mic and the very nice speech processor built
into my 910H  thank-you-very-much.

6) No Mac or Linux support.  A shame really...

7) To put together a full featured transceiver you have to deal with many
vendors. So you add the DEMI 2M Transverter for $400, and then about $150
for an HF power amp (Oh darn! Doesn't cover the 6m side), a VHF power amp
and you still only have a 706 MKIIG or 897 minus the UHF coverage, at a
price that is considerable higher.

So as much as software defined radios seem to be cool at first glance, I am
not convinced I would like to be rebooting my radio in the middle of a qso,
or having to give up my radio because the software no longer runs on
Windows 2005. Maybe in 10 years when the software gets mature and up to
commercial quality, but until that time I don't think I'd go down that road
except as a novel experiment.  It would help if the software was open
source and could be re-developed in C++ on a common IDE, but that doesn't
appear to be the case here.  In one to two years when Microsoft releases an
OS that doesnt' support Visual Basic 6.0's runtime any longer it will be a
rude awaking for anyone relying it.

73,

Emily

At 12:22 AM 12/15/2003 +0000, you wrote:
>An impressive radio.  Not a factor for a TLM-only station, but I was a
>little disappointed that it is inherently non-duplex.  On the other hand, it
>is, as such things go, relatively cheap, so you could buy two of them, and a
>second parallel port of course.  I discussed it a bit, and was told that
>modifying the software would not be that big a deal.
>

>Alan
>WA4SCA

W0EEC - CM87tm
http://www.projectoscar.net    http://www.emilyshouse.com/W0EEC