Re: Holiday Traveling = 144.39 CTCSS 100

At 12:42 PM 12/12/2003 -0500, Bob Bruninga wrote:
>Remember, during holiday travels, your BEST chance of hearing
>a fellow traveler DIRECT, is monitoring 144.39 CTCSS 100.
===snip
>Think of 144.39 as a RADAR ping.  The vast majority of APRS mobile
>operators are pinging away once every minute or so with a PL 100 packet
>position report.  This serves as an automatic "in-range" signal probe.
>But, not only are they transmitting with PL 100, they also have their
>speakers MUTED with CTCSS 100 so that they can then HEAR a voice call from
>ANYONE that calls them using PL 100.
>
>Thus, if you hear a PL 100 signal on 144.39, you know the following:
>
>1) He is in SIMPLEX range
>2) He is LISTENING with his speaker for a voice call.
>
>In APRS lingo, we call this "VOICE ALERT" since we are all driving around
>with one radio permanently on 144.39 anyway, we may as well use its
>speaker and "pings" on those rare occassions when someone wants to get our
>attention for voice by using PL 100.

===snip
>Happy Holidays...
>
>de WB4APR, Bob

Bob,

I like the idea.  APRS is still not "common" on Alaska roads but more are
showing up.  This voice-alert idea might offer more incentive to it.  One
technical question:  If you use the CTCSS decoder in the radio, doesn't
this eliminate all "normal" APRS signals if they aren't using 100Hz?

Or do you use an external CTCSS board to gate an external speaker?  Just
thinking it would be a shame not to have normal APRS if one had gone to the
trouble to have an APRS capable mobile?

No progress on setting up a sat-IG for 145.825 until after the holidays.
Have to recover the budget for acquiring the TNC and LAN card to connect
the laptop to the DSL router.  Looking at using UI as software and IC-2A as
roof-top receiver.  DSL is operative though.

73s and happy holidays!
Ed - AL7EB
BP40iq
Kenai Peninsula Alaska