Re: Holiday Traveling = 144.39 CTCSS 100

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Jim Walls wrote:

> >  On interstates, we typically pass another ham about every 20 mins...
>
> I might wonder how you came up with that figure...

I assumed we pass another car about every 2 seconds.  That is 600 in 20
minutes.  And about 1 person in every 600 in the USA is a HAM...

> You've got to be nuts to think that I'm going to want to listen to
> packet racket for hours on end...

You are missing how it works.  If you set CTCSS 100, then you wont hear
anything.  Yes, there are packets on the channel, but you wont hear ANY of
them unless there is another VOICE-ALERT mobile within about 5 miles or
less of you.  And even then, you might only hear his one packet every 2
minutes about 3 times total... You are passing each other at about 130 MPH
and only within simplex of each other for a few minutes...

Yes, if there is someone going the same direction as you and is within 5
miles or so, you will hear one packet every 2 minutes letting you know
that your fellow traveler is still nearby...  Still not much of a nuisance
for the value...

 de WB4APR, Bob