Re: Holiday Traveling = 144.39 CTCSS 100

APRS Bob said (in part)
>  Remember, during holiday travels, your BEST chance of hearing a
>  fellow traveler DIRECT, is monitoring 144.39 CTCSS 100.

>  On the interstates, we typically pass another ham about once every 20
>  minutes, yet may go for hours without finding a QSO on 146.52.

I might wonder how you came up with that figure, but I have absolutely
nothing to refute it.

>  144.39 CTCSS 100 works far better than listening to 146.52, because
>  on 52, someone has to be calling CQ every 2 minutes so that there is
>  any chance of someone in range hearing them. Most dont, thus many
>  QSO's are lost.

>  Think of 144.39 as a RADAR ping. The vast majority of APRS mobile
>  operators are pinging away once every minute or so with a PL 100
>  packet position report. This serves as an automatic "in-range"
>  signal probe. But, not only are they transmitting with PL 100, they
>  also have their speakers MUTED with CTCSS 100 so that they can then
>  HEAR a voice call from ANYONE that calls them using PL 100.

You've got to be nuts to think that I'm going to want to listen to
packet racket for hours on end on a long drive just so I might be able
to make a contact or two.  I sure don't what to listen to the guy that's
20 miles up the road - just strong enough to open the PL decoder, but
not really strong enough for a plesant chat.  Besides, out here, pick
ANY PL tone, and you will find some APRS tracker transmitting it who is
NOT listening.  I speak from experience from that as I tried it after
the first time I read about you suggesting this.  This is particularly
true for a commonly used tone such as 100.0 Hz.

>  Thus, if you hear a PL 100 signal on 144.39, you know the following:

>  1) He is in SIMPLEX range 2) He is LISTENING with his speaker for a
>  voice call.

>  SO, Even if you never have used APRS, don't overlook this simple
>  "radar detector" for travelers in simplex range. It works. Maybe
>  only a few times a day on a long trip, but it works better than
>  waiting for someone within 5 miles of you to call CQ on 52...

Never seems to have that much trouble finding stations on simplex
channels - even in the middle of the SW USA desert.  On the other hand,
I have not had a 2M radio in a vehicle of mine for about 15 years - had
13 radios in my last truck, but no real reason to have 2M in the
collection.  I am breaking down and putting 2M in the new truck (have
not done the installations yet), but it will primarily be for weak
signal and satellite.  Once in a while I stick a 2M HT in there, but
there is little reason to have CB - I mean 2M FM in my truck.  I do
normally have APRS in the truck, but that's a dedicated radio that is
buried (in the old truck it was in a box in the bed of the pickup).  No
way to use it, or even monitor it except with a separate radio.

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
Ofc:  626-302-8515