RE: Re:secrets

On 9 Dec 2003 at 14:20, Robert McGwier wrote:

> This is one of the most inane emails I have read in
> years on this BBS.
>
> There is no way I would EVER allow you on my launch
> vehicle if you could not completely certify EVERY SINGLE
> DETAIL of your satellite.  Your space agency should
> throw you off the launcher rather than allow you
> to ride to space with a piece of electronics that
> you do not even have documentation for.
>
> Can you even imagine the damage your project could
> do to AMSAT India, and amateur radio in general in
> your country if the launch vehicle fails and you
> are asked questions that you cannot provide answers
> to?  I would remove the packages before I would fly
> them without documentation.
>

> UN-BE-EFFING-lievable
>
> Bob N4HY

Could be they will send it with "yellow tag" and do the paper work after it was send in space!

Phase 2 hardware (Kenwood D700) equipment setup completed and activated at
approximately 11:20 UTC on December 8.  As I mentioned, we did not expect
to have the hardware operational until all the safety paperwork was
completed.  I received the following from NASA yesterday which explains
what happened.  The packet turnoff this time was not the issue we have seen
with the FGB Phase 1 packet system.  It was manually shut off.   FYI, the
equipment has been yellow tagged (do not install or operate) since prior to
its delivery on ISS.  Let's hope that the safety team can get the paperwork
done very soon.

Congratulations to the ARISS international team for a successful end-to-end
demonstration of the new antenna system and the Kenwood radio system!!

73,   Frank Bauer, KA3HDO

.....hardware was installed as planned.  A radiogram was sent to crew with
instructions to remove the yellow tags.  Having removed the yellow tag
and not having received any instructions to not activate the (ISS Ham Radio)
unit, the crew then activated the hardware.  The US side did not expect
activation because coordination with US safety was not complete.  The
rationale for the Yellow Tag is due to a concern regarding (ISS Ham radio)
hardware operation impacts to EVA crewmembers, so there is no immediate
concern regarding (ISS Ham Radio) operation.  However, Russian controllers did
request that the crew power down the Sputnik hardware while bilateral
Safety paperwork coordination is completed.

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
Coordonnateur AMSAT pour le Québec
Quebec AMSAT coordinator
AMSAT MEMBER (33583)