Re: What Secrets?

* Lee <lee-fl@cfl.rr.com> [2003-12-07 18:04]:

> No one needs to coax me to RTFM.  The whole point of this thread originally
> is that to a very large extent there is no manual published to read.

Lee,

Let me preface this by saying it is the only other -bb reply on this
subject that I will make as the thread is getting too long to be productive.

I just wanted to make clear, however, my last post.

This thread began about trying to get access to some specific info that
is not published. Somewhere in the midst of it all, people began to be
upset that they aren't given every shred of detail that they would like
despite having contributed $$$ to P3D.

This is where I take exception.

I don't think there can be much argument that P3D was the most ambitious
technical project ever tackled by radio amateurs. The amount of
documentation for such a project would be tremendous if it had been
built by a single company. But to complicate matters, P3D was truly an
international effort. There were volunteers from all around the world
working on the project. Documentation may well be in multiple languages
and kept in multiple formats for all I know (I have no inside
information on those "green books").

Peter's (DB2OS) point should be easily understandable; that the existing
documentation was not produced in such a way so as to make it easily
distributable via the Web or other such medium to a wide audience.

Nor is there any plan to do so as it would be a lot of work, and it
would do little to get the next 'bird' built.

Now imagine if it was. There would no doubt be 10,000 questions
generated. Are we saying that volunteer designers have some
"responsibility" to answer every single question or email about their
part of the project for years after the project is completed? I should
hope not!

Likewise, let's say someone wants to know about the adhesive used to
secure the solar panels. Should DB2OS or others have to go find that
information and then fax it to the requestor? Where does that end? What
if there are a hundred such requests? or a thousand?

When I read Peter's email he offered you the information that you seek
with a simple caveat:

"If someone wants it, he can come to us and convince us, that it
is for a real serious project and not an interesting souvenir
to have."

and,

"If someone really wants to get involved and want to support
the project, he will be given the chance to have access to
all the above.. but it won't be as simple as "just" asking
for a copy of the schematics for the satellite.."

http://www.amsat.org/amsat/archive/amsat-bb/200311/msg00763.html

Anyone who took offense to what Peter said about the realities of
disseminating that much information is either thin-skinned or not
really paying attention to the discussion.

Based on your response Lee, I don't believe that you fall into that
category. But there were several others who obviously do.

That was my point and I hope it doesn't offend anyone. :-)

--
Jeff Davis, Ke9v
AMSAT #28350