Re: What Secrets?

From: "Jeff Davis" <ke9v@comcast.net>

> This entire thread seems like a long whine and is completely lost
> on me.

Its a level of detail issue.  A generalized block diagram doesn't provide
enough information if you are trying to figure out potential sources for a
temperature related interfering signal sweeping through the uplink receiver.
It also requires a lot more detail to try to track down the cause of a
repetitive frequency shift in a receiver.

>What *specific* information is desired that has not been proffered in one
manner or another?

Specifically I have been looking for comprehensive information on the
sources of the telemetry measurements on AO-40.  What types of sensors are
used, how  the measurement is derived, and where are they physically
located.  Some parts of it are published for some sensors but nothing very
inclusive.

Other people who are looking at other issues and data probably have other
items at the top of their list.

> 1. Do your research and make sure what you want to know hasn't already
> been published.

That brings up a good point.  A running bibliography of published articles
on each satellite would be a great addition to AMSAT's web site and quite a
challenge in itself.  Project names change and sometimes articles are
published at symposiums other than AMSAT's.  Searches of the Periodical
Index at the library as well as the web haven't turned up what I'm looking
for yet.  If you're aware of some other sources I'd greatly appreciate being
pointed to them.

> 2. Subscribe to this mailing list and ask good questions. When this is
> done, we all benefit from the flow of information. When the
> signal-to-noise of amsat-bb goes down due to off-topic posts and
> pathetic commentary, we all suffer.

Not a bad idea but I've found it to be generally unproductive.  As you
mentioned because of the s/n many of those with the info don't follow
the -bb and without something authoritative published it degenerates to
unresolvable speculation and assumption.

> 3. Join AMSAT and receive the bi-monthly Journal. Detailed satellite
> information appears in every issue.

The Journal is a very good source of information and I've found my Journal
CDs to be highly valuable.  However the level of detail rarely is able to
get much below the block diagram level.  Also, I've encountered several
examples of preliminary information that was published and correct at that
time but a follow up was never made to update the information in a later
article.  The result is the available information doesn't match the flight
hardware.

> It's not the responsibility of AMSAT or any designer to *make* you
> understand how something works or to coax you to RTFM.

I agree that it is not any of the AMSATs responsibility to *make* me
understand.  Part of the enjoyment I get from the hobby is studying and
learning new things.  I want to learn it.  In fact, if I had the information
I'd even enjoy explaining things and helping other to understand.

No one needs to coax me to RTFM.  The whole point of this thread originally
is that to a very large extent there is no manual published to read.

73,
Lee-KU4OS