Re: Echo and its usefulness

This is my first posting as I am a new AMSAT member. I
live in a small Eskimo village on the Bering sea,
about 450 miles west of Anchorage.
  I agree with Keith, the LEO satellites are fine for
folks in the more populated areas, however, there
aren't many other operators in the footprint when the
satellite is available to me. LEO's have been
beneficial to me in that I learned how to track
satellites by using them.
  I have only heard two QSO's on the LEO satellites in
the past three months. In order to learn how to make
QSO's the correct way, (tracking, power adjustment and
op methods) I've had to use AO-40.
  HEO's obviously have more appeal to me as far as
actual operations. However, I also enjoy learning
about the spacecraft hostory, construction and
telemetry controls as well. I too will contribute to
the Echo campaigne. I just hope another HEO will be
launched within the next decade.
Joe Seibert, AL1F