Re: Secrets...

On Saturday 06 December 2003 04:33, Peter Guelzow wrote:
> Hi Kevin and All,
>
> kevin schuchmann wrote:
> >    I have asked before for detailed info on AO40 and have found that that
> > some systems are proprietary, and there are no component level schematics
> > available for the general viewing...
>
> Sorry, this is not completely true!!!
>
> All the information of AO-40 is in the so-called "Green Book".
> The mechanical and electrical books together are about 9 cm thick,
> about 1000 pages, printed on both sides.
> We have similar books for all previous "Phase 3" projects.
>
> There is no secret or proprietary information, other than peoples
> intellectuality. In fact, some groups and the core people who
> build AO-40 have a copy and some information is already re-used
> on the newer projects.
> For education, a lot of details from these books were also
> published in our AMSAT-DL Journal or other places, when appropriate.
>
> In general, we (at AMSAT-DL) have a policy that everything
> which goes into the satellite (hardware and software) must be
> fully documented and everything (schematics, source code, etc.)
> must be available to the project team for review.
> Not only for safety concerns, but also for contingency planning's.
> Most of the module designers have no problem with this policy.
> Only a few requested, that they have to be consulted first, before
> anything is made available to a wider public.
>
> Unfortunately, we had only one case (related to software) were
> we did not follow this rule 100%. This created problems later
> on and was a proof that our policy in fact was right..
>
> However, this does not automatically mean that every radio
> amateur on earth must have full access to these information's.
>
> We do not give the green books away for "free".
>
> Not only, that it costs a lot of money to reproduce these books,
> it also costs a lot of time. We are a voluntary organization,
> we want to build satellites, not a documentation service...
>
> If someone wants it, he can come to us and convince us, that it
> is for a real serious project and not an interesting souvenir
> to have.
>
> A side effect is, that we also do not want that some "arm chair"
> designers bombard us with comments like "why did you used
> that part, I would have done it this way.." etc..
>
> If someone really wants to get involved and want to support
> the project, he will be given the chance to have access to
> all the above.. but it won't be as simple as "just" asking
> for a copy of the schematics for the satellite..
>
> 73s Peter DB2OS

I'm sorry Peter, but I think you just proved that it is completely true....
I said...

" some systems are proprietary,"   doesn't matter if it is proprietary or if
its intellectual property, if the designer is holding rights over it and
doesn't want it released the result is the same....

and I said...
"and there are no component level schematics available for the general
viewing..."

and you said...
" However, this does not automatically mean that every radio
 amateur on earth must have full access to these information's."
"he can come to us and convince us, that it
 is for a real serious project and not an interesting souvenir
 to have."

I would think that would qualify  as nothing for general viewing....

I also find it amusing how threads get off on tangents....

I never said the info should be free.... or that I wanted a ao40 book....

I want EAGLE documentation....  what does it take to put a sat into space?
what goes into the design? the whys?

I'm sure if information is released ...  (the non command parts)  their will
be discussion  and questions... and I'm sure it might be a pain for some...
but if people learn from it, then its a good thing... and who knows maybe
some better ways to do things might pop up out of it....

AMSAT-DL is free to handle their documentation anyway they see fit... I had
asked the BB, differnet people and had talked to a command station and was
told there wasn't a complete "book", maybe there wasn't at that time.. or
maybe they just didn't know about it... or maybe the existence of the book
wasn't to be acknowledged to non-builders...I don't know... I can only go by
what I have been told.

   Although when RUDAK was causing a warble effect on L it might have helped
to find that problem if diagrams were more readily available... the same
thing with the abrupt frequency shift every 3 secs or so  of 10 Hz on L1...
that problem has still not been identified...

73 Kevin WA6FWF