From: kevin schuchmann [mailto:kschuchm@pacbell.net]
Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 10:54 AM
To: Rick Hambly (W2GPS); G0MRF@aol.com
Cc: 'amsat-bb'
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] diagrams

Hi Rick and David,

  I'm aware that ao40 belongs to AMSAT-DL they are in control of that info,
and David I'm glad to hear that the book exists and that the "builders"
share
info...

     I have seen the lament from you Rick that its hard to get Sat builders
interested in things unless its new and interesting and leading edge, so
wouldn't it be in everyones best interest to have more Sat builders?

     Ham Radio , at least to me is a learning adventure, not a business
proposition, now I can understand if someone comes up with a new design that

is radical in nature, they could patent the design, and still release the
info...   on the other hand do we really need the latest bleeding edge
design?  wouldn't something that is more mundane but that works also be OK?

Hey it may be the absolutely right thing to continue doing things the way
they
are being done today... but  It just seems to me (my opinion)  that the pool

of satellite builders is shrinking, the Sats are becoming more and more high

tech and beyond the average ham, not a slam either way but lets face it
because of time constraints we had to turn to "off the shelf" components for

a lot of ECHO.

   Kinda makes me think about Tom Clarks W3IWI  description of the AMSAT
seti
group "Radio amateurs have built more than 40 OSCARs (Orbiting Satellites
Carrying Amateur Radio) and hardware flying on the Shuttle, MIR and Space
Station. The Titanic was built by professionals; we are amateurs in the
proud
tradition of the Wright Bros."

     I guess I'm questioning where is AMSAT headed?  will we become a group
of
appliance users, and a very tiny group of builders working in secret?

     As for me  I would rather see a lower tech Sat org with a large group
of
builders and thinkers trying to build sats that are smaller cheaper and last

longer, and where the entire membership understands the workings of their
sats.

    What does the other readers of this BB think?  does anyone else care
which
way it goes?  is it just give me sats to use?  and I don't care how they
work, or do more people people want active knowledge in the sats they use?

Thanks
73
Kevin WA6FWF