RE: diagrams

Kevin,

Your request touches on a couple of important point.  I could spend many
hundreds of words on each but right now I will just give you the short
version.

1) Our satellites are well documented. The issue is that the documentation
is not generally available.

2) AMSAT-NA has had a policy from the beginning that designs and other
"intellectual property" from our volunteers belongs to the volunteer, not to
AMSAT, unless donated to AMSAT by the volunteer. That policy has been the
basis for a number of commercial spin-off enterprises, some quite
successful. The policy was challenged during the first Eagle design review
by the "open source" AMSAT community who feel that AMSAT should be free to
publish everything about its satellites. The counter argument is that under
that model we may loose our best volunteers and we will need to avoid
commercial of-the-shelf (COTS) products in our satellites, requiring
extensive and unproductive redesign. This difficult policy issue will be
seriously debated in regard Eagle in the coming months.

3) Certain aspect of the satellite security could be compromised by
revealing too much information. The "open source" debate has caused us to
think of ways to mitigate that situation in future designs.

4) Many of the components for Echo are proprietary products and so the
release of their documentation by AMSAT would be inappropriate.  SpaceQuest
is only one of a number of sources in this category.  Also, the hardware and
software volunteers have not explicitly turned over their designs to AMSAT
for publication, either.  I expect some of them will publish information
about their designs in AMSAT Journal or elsewhere.  Some will not.

5) AO-40 was led by AMSAT-DL, not AMSAT-NA and so they set the rules.
Questions about AO-40 and AMSAT-DL policy issues should be directed to them.

Rick
W2GPS