SaudiSats (was Re: No Luck)

Hi George,

SO-41 is seldom if ever turned on - don't know why.

SO-50 is turned on quite a lot.  However, it only has a 140mw transmitter,
so it's probably not that your rig is messed up but rather you may not have
enough receive gain on the 70cm side.  Basically a beam antenna and pre-amp
will do the trick but you can work it with a HT and the AO-27 type Arrow
antenna.  Al N5AFV works it with a Pryme AL-800 whip antenna and a W32A.

The receiver is sensitive, so please make sure you hear QSOs before you
start transmitting.  Once you are sure you can hear SO-50, then try
transmitting.  Unfortunately it gets jammed often by folks with inadequate
receive gain but lots of transmit power.

Though the debate rages on, many of us believe that SO-50 can drift off
frequency by 3 KHz or better. So you should tune around.  I start off
looking at 436.808 and tune down from there.

73,

Emily