G-5400B reassembly

Well, I was given a Yaesu 5400B rotator and I decided to grease it before
sticking it back up in the air. Unfortunately, I (ahem) wasn't careful
enough to note alignment when I disassembled it. I seem to have the
Elevation rotator under control but I am having some trouble with the
Azimuth unit.

After cleaning and greasing the bearings, I reassembled it, making sure I
got the little 'limit arm' inside to align with the tab on the cover. (A
blind procedure.) However, when I go through the electrical alignment with
the control box, I just can't get the meter to 'zero' properly in the full
CCW position (even twiddling the 'zero' adjustment on the meter). I seem to
have lots of range with the full scale adjustment in the full CW position.

The manual is very limited in its help - I don't think Yaesu expects hams to
be disassembling the rotator! There is only an 'exploded' parts diagram.

SO, anybody out there have any suggestions or experience with one of these?
I do not wish to disassemble and reassemble it many times because the grease
is messy and the bearings always seem to escape under things!

Thanks for any help.

David Beach
VE3STI

PS: I see there are no limit switches on this unit. What happens if one
really bangs the rotator hard (accidentally!) against the 'stops'? Does the
motor burn out? A fuse blow? I see a small ?thermal switch on the schematic.