Re: NO-45 nearly operational (was: Re: NO-45, UI digipeat)

Mike,
Sorry if it sounded like whining. I am THRILLED to have another active satellite to work... and in such an interesting mode:  mode J 1200 b UI.  The thing I really like about this mode is being able to work full duplex satellite mode (can't do that with NO-44 or ISS).

The Doppler shift on the downlink does require some attention though, and since it does not have a constant downlink signal (like UO-14 or UO-22, for example), it can get away from you and you miss a few packets without realizing you need to retune as the satellite passes by.  Just a matter of getting used to a different operating method.

I use a hardware TNC, but the soundcard software available today will allow anyone who could work UO-14 or SO-50, and has a computer with a soundcard, to work this satellite without buying a single new piece of hardware (you may need some cables, etc.).  Here is a good link to get info on working this fun mode with no $ out of pocket:
http://www.qsl.net/soundcardpacket/

73,
Jerry, K5OE