Re: N connectors

At 09:31 AM 11/23/2003 +0000, Nigel Gunn G8IFF/KC8NHF wrote:
>On Sunday 23 November 2003 05:05, Jim Walls wrote:
>  The biggest problem
>> I have seen with the clamp type connectors is that the only thing really
>> providing any mechanical attachment of the cable to the connector is the
>> wires of the shield.  The clamp does not grip the cable hardly at all
>> and I have seen the wires of the shield break until the cable pulls out
>> of the connector.
>>

>If that's the case then you haven't fitted it correctly.
>
>More important, clamp type connectors are reasonably rater resistant, the
"2 part" connectors have no water resistance at all.
> I know which I prefer.
><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
>Nigel A. Gunn. 59 Beadlemead, Milton Keynes, MK6 4HF, England.

Jim, I have to agree with Nigel.

I have never had any problem such as you mention (I use them extensively in
commercial service) using the standard N-type connectors.  The trick to
proper assembly is to use a small wire brush to "comb" out the shield wires
over the shield die or clamp.  The shield wires will all be parallel to
each other and can be formed to lie smoothly into the die (pushing them in
with a small screwdriver blade or back of a knife works well.  When this is
done the wire ends will splay outward.  You cut them flush with the outside
of the die.  Thus formed, the connector assembles easily using two wrenches
(one to hold the shell of the connector from rotating and the other to
screw in the back nut.  This "clamp" style connector is fairly strong and
somewhat wx-tight using the rubber gasket that comes with them (never
support long vertical runs of coax by the connector and use good sealing
techniques for outdoor use).  More importantly, the connector exhibits good
impedance characteristics into the low microwave frequencies.

My first experience with LMR-400 was with the crimp-style (PL-259 like)
connector.  I had a devil of a time getting it assembled right.  Since
finding that RF-Parts has a nice connector sized for 9913/LMR-400, I no
longer will use that "PL-259" style.  The "clamp" style is better for use
with high RF power such as is used for EME.  The gold center pin is the
secret to good long-term connections.

Anyway my two-cents!

73, Ed - AL7EB