Re: N connectors

John P. Toscano wrote (in part):

> Vince Fiscus, KB7ADL wrote:
>
>> I ordered some N connectors once and when they showed up the were the
>> PL259 looking ones and I threw them in the trash.   Try and find some
>> clamp on type.  I've had alot of luck with them.  I've removed all
>> the SO239's from my rigs (except HF) and gone with Chassis N type.
>
> I've always hated soldering the braid on PL-259's, and therefore, I
> avoid using the type of N connector that Joseph and Vince are
> discussing.  It always seems to me to be a challenge to get enough
> heat to reliably melt the solder and join the braid to the connector
> shield without melting the dialectric of the cable and ruining
> everything.

It's never a problem if you use a large enough soldering iron.  Too many
people pull out the same iron they last used to solder micro sized
surface mount ICs.  I have a 1000 degree 45 W iron that works just fine
for the shield.
Personally I LOVE the "2 piece" type N connectors.  The biggest problem
I have seen with the clamp type connectors is that the only thing really
providing any mechanical attachment of the cable to the connector is the
wires of the shield.  The clamp does not grip the cable hardly at all
and I have seen the wires of the shield break until the cable pulls out
of the connector.

> The clamp-type N connectors gave me fits at first.  But once I got the
> hang of doing them correctly, including making sure I used two
> open-end wrenches of the correct size to tighten the halves securely
> instead of trying to "get by" with a pair of pliers or a Crescent
> wrench (a type of adjustable open-end wrench), I have had no more
> problems assembling them, and I would not willingly go back.

The proper tools does make it a lot easier, but of course, that
generally apples to almost everything.

> Vince, too bad you tossed your in the trash.  I know a guy who loves
> those connectors for one purpose only -- he has found that there is
> one size and style of hardline on which they work very nicely, and he
> uses them for that purpose.  The style of hardline with a spiral
> corrugation to the shield allows him to "screw in" this style of N
> connector.  As the saying goes, one man's trash is another man's
> treasure!  :)

I would of taken them!

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC