Re: Fly to the moon question

> Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 16:28:03 -0800 (PST)
> From: William Leijenaar <pe1rah@...>
> Subject: [amsat-bb] Fly to the moon question
> To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
>
> I have been trying to find out what is needed to get
> something in a moon orbit. Its already very long time
> ago I did these physic calculations, and I'm sure many
> amateurs are better in it than me hihi.
> 	[...]

I have _never_ done the calculations, but you might want to
look at the ESA's SMART-1 mission:

	http://sci.esa.int/smart-1

The SMART-1 spacecraft was launched September 27 into a GTO.
It is using a electric propulsion system to slowly boost its
orbit until it is captured by the moon (i.e., over a period
of sixteen months).

The real rocket scientists among us can undoubtedly provide
additional insight.

-tjs