FW: ARLB065 FCC adds Part 15 spectrum at 5 GHz, turns down ARRL request

Those of you who have shown some interest in my "C-C Rider" C-band
transponder may find this ARRL bulletin interesting. If you look at the
Figure 1 in my paper (or chart #5 in the PowerPoint presentation), you will
see the allocation in question as "proposed to FCC". It is also in line with
the new world-wide allocation that resulted from WRC-03. [The "C-C Rider"
paper is still available at http://www.gpstime.com -- just scroll to the
bottom.]

For another view, you may find an article in the Washington Post Business
Section (see
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A38286-2003Nov13.html) to be
of interest. The Part 15 folks are bewailing the fact that they can't get
good coverage at C-band thru foliage and they can't QRO. Sob Sob.

For us the good news is that the new Part 15 allocation is in the C-band
satellite uplink band. Our downlink allocation is (for the time being) in
the clear. At a satellite, the aggregate of the new Part 15 users will
simple cause a rise in the background noise level. And our legal uplink
transmissions will probably tend to drive the Part 15 users to other C-band
channels. Remember that Part 15 must tolerate interference from licensed
services.

73 de Tom, W3IWI