Re: Sapphire UI Packet Operational

On Sun, 2003-11-16 at 16:50, K5OE@aol.com wrote:
> I tried out NO-45 this weekend and found it working well, but it does have some interesting behavior compared to ISS and NO-44.  The downlink behaves much like UO-14 and UO-22, with polarity switching between LHCP and RHCP several times during the pass.  Unlike those other birds, though, you do not have a solid downlink signal to monitor so you may miss several packets before you realize you need to switch polarity (those with linear polarity antennas may ignore the preceding).
>
> Also, the 70 cm downlink frequency seems to follow pretty much the same 20 kHz Doppler drift in the pass as the other two birds, but I found my TNC needed to be within 2 or 3 kHz to succesfully decode the packets.  On 2 meters down you never even think about it.
>
> I do find this easier to work than the other two 1200 b packet satellites since the mode V/U allows my rig to run in full duplex satellite mode and not in half-duplex split mode for V/V.
>
> I am not sure exactly what the status of the satellite is right now, but I understand the BB is shut off so I did not attempt anything other than UI digipeating.  Other stations heard (seen) include:  N4ZQ, N8ULD, and KB2MVN.
> 73,
> Jerry, K5OE

Saw you on this afternoon's pass also Jerry, got a couple packets up,
but they were early in the pass, most likely because of the fixed
elevation on my 2m yagi.  Another interesting thing that I and Brian
(OZ1SKY) noted is that there are 2 carrier "kerchunks" at 1 minute
intervals coming from the sat in addition to its normal packets.

Ryan, KB0JQO