RE: AO-27 & SO-50

Hi Mike,

SO-50 has a very small transmitter (140mw) so you need a very sensitive
receiver and beam antenna to hear it.  I think most people working SO-50
have most mounted preamps, but you can work it with an Arrow antenna and an
HT.  N5AFV (http://www.qsl.net/n5afv/) is very good at it and works it with
an AL-800 whip.

As far as the frequency, I find it at about 436.8080 when the satellite
first comes over the horizon, and it goes down to 436.784 at the end of the
pass.  This would indicate the center frequency is somewhere around
436.796, though VE6EGN indicates that he thinks it's closer to 436.798.  So
you really have to tune around to find it.

The uplink is 145.850.  I find it helps to slightly tune your transmitter
for Doppler (about 1khz below when approaching, 1khz above when departing)
but the FM capture effect is OK for most of the pass.

Hope this helps,

Emily

At 01:14 PM 11/16/2003 -0800, mike@hatzakis.net wrote:
>This is a great summary, thank you..!   I just tried SO-50 and I have been
>listening on 436.800, but read something else that says 436.795 and just
>barely heard it there on FM.  Should I be vertically polarized for it?  Is
>the uplink still 145.850   (before doppler correction).  I'm getting there,
>albeit slow.
>
>Michael

W0EEC - CM87tm
ARRL - AMSAT - MSARC - ARCA - Project OSCAR
http://www.projectoscar.net
http://www.emilyshouse.com/W0EEC
http://www.experthams.net/ao7