FO-20 and Horizon Obstruction

I am fairly new to this satellite hobby and I am now just trying to hit
FO-20.  I heard nothing and realized that in the azimuth heading of 60-90
degrees or NE to East, I have a mild mountain behind me.  It starts at a
elevation of zero to a max of 30 degrees or so here in the NW at this time.

At a distance of about 1/4 mile from here, there is a grade that peaks at an
elevation change of about 1000 feet or so compared to my QTH.  I am at 550
and the top is about 1500.  Is it simple geometry to figure out the minimum
elevation to which I can hear a satellite?  Ideas?

Michael, K3MH