Re: Re: Sapphire Digipeats

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Mineo Wakita wrote:

> I succeeded to connect via NO-45(Sapphire) as follows.
>
> cmd:*** CONNECTED to JE9PEL VIA KE6QMD
> cmd:d
> cmd:*** DISCONNECTED

Yes, Thats a good data point. Thanks..

But we need to be careful.  Others should realize that you are an
authorized command station, and so you have the authorization to connect.
But there is currently no user service available on Sapphire or through
Sapphire for -connections- for general use.

We hope other users realize that operating in the connected mode is
inefficient through a satellite link where there is congestion on the
uplink.  Sapphire was not designed for -connections- either -to- or
-through- Sapphire for general use.

We are working on the objective of authorizing digipeater use in the UI
mode, but we still need to do some housekeeping on the bird before we risk
it.  Sapphire has been dormant for over 5 months and we need to establish
the health of the bird before we authorize general digipeating for the
users...

Thanks for the report!  The fact that the digipeater works is good
news...

Bob, WB4APR
Sapphire Command Station
US Naval Academy Satellite Lab