Re: SpaceDev sat mission

I think the starting bid was $650K and it was only open to authorized
bidders.

Also looked like they had a lot of the payload already planned and
designed for people who want to get pretty pictures from space.  I
don't know how friendly they would be to a hamsat payload, but it would
certainly be worth bidding on for a ride to LEO if they're willing to
put up with ham gear on board.

They also had some sort of deal going with reselling time on the sat
after end of mission, which SpaceDev seemed to think would be a good
way to get some revenue back from the initial investment, but I'd say
that would be HEAVILY dependent on the capabilities of the payload.
Anyone seriously thinking about bidding on this would do well to come
up with as modular and reconfigurable a payload as they possibly can,
to take full advantage of that feature of the deal.  I don't know how
well an organization like AMSAT could make use of that clause, since it
might involve letting in some commercial satellite services to win back
revenue, but it would certainly be something to put some heavy-duty
engineering into.

Worth tracking, but don't know how much I'd go to in terms of a bidding
limit .. seems to be a "vanity mission" deal rather than a DIY sat
mission ..

On Tuesday, Nov 11, 2003, at 21:17 US/Central, Joshua wrote:

> I was just looking at www.slashdot.com , and heard that SpaceDev is
> auctioning of a microsat mission the buy it now price is
> *$9,500,000.00 *and at the time that this message was typed it was
> *$250,000.00*
>
> andrewjj20

> author.

"Oh yeah? Well, I speak LOOOOOOOUD, and I carry a BEEEEEEEger stick --
and I use it too!"  **whop!**   -- Yosemite Sam

"Go ahead and do it, you can apologize later." -- RADM Grace Hopper,
1906-1992
"The sunset is an illusion, but the beauty is real." -- Richard Bach