American Ops on AO-40??

Hi All

I have noticed in recent passes of AO-40 where I enjoy a window with the USA
that there is a growing shortage of US operators active. This morning
excellent signals were received from the Stateside stations, but only
familiar voices were heard.  I enjoyed a QSO with Steve N1JFU where
excellent conditions prevailed (S7 signals here) yet heard only Steve, Pete
KC2HLI, Sonny WA4MYO and K2MB (who was as strong as the beacon here) on the
passband. Several European stations were heard, despite it being very early
morning there.

It would seem that it is no longer worth getting up early (I was up at 04h50
local time) to work US passes, as it seems that US operators have lost
interest in AO-40 for the remainder of the year! Hopefully after the "rest
period" it will improve!! European and Japanese stations continue to be
enthusiatic though, and I will be QRV again tonight for the Asia/EU pass
from 21h00 utc until the transponder switches off at approximately 23h30
utc. This is 23h00 local time until 01h30!

73 de Barry ZR2DX
(EX ZR6DXB)
KF26TA - Port Elizabeth,South Africa
QRV 50 - 1296 MHz SSB/FM/Digital
AO-40  FO-29  UO-14
Member : SARL, SA AMSAT
Secretary, Port Elizabeth Amateur Radio Society