RE: Re: UO-14 Alternate ?

> If the spacecraft is capable of it, setting it up the way
> SO-35 (Sunsat)
> was operated might be a good way to do it.  For those of you
> who don't
> know how SO-35 was operated, let me give you a summary.  Power
> availability for the amateur transponder limited amateur operation to
> "normally" one pass per day for each continent.  The South African
> controllers would program the satellite to control when it
> would turn on
> and published the schedule several weeks in advance.  After a
> while they
> got amateurs on each continent to set up the schedules for them, and
> then the South African control station would program the satellite
> scheduler.  This worked out pretty well until the satellite
> failed in orbit.
> BTW, I was the Sunsat North American scheduler, and would be happy to
> take on that role again if SO-50 can be scheduled like SO-35 could.

This would be the ideal way to do it.  I used to be the VK/ZL scheduler for
SO-35, and the system worked quite well.  Had to generate a new set of
schedules every 2 weeks and submit them to the controllers in ZS for upload
to the bird.  I also used to publish them on my page with expected AOS/LOS
times for major cities and some islands in the region.

Having the scheduled windows made it possible for people to plan their
satellite operations.  I haven't yet had a crack at SO-50, because I have no
way of knowing if it will be active on a given pass.  Switching it to
scheduled operation would solve that issue.