Re: ARRL 10 GHz + Contest 2004

In a message dated 11/9/03 11:47:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
stan@capecod.com writes:

> Is everyone happy with the structure of the ARRL 10 GHz + contest  ?
>  Are there any changes needed  ??

I'd like to see a few changes. Comments embedded.

>  1.  BONUS BAND,   add a bonus band like 2304, or  3456, or 5760 MHz.
>  Only one bonus band per year as defined ahead of time.

I'd like to see some other means of encouraging use of these bands. I like 10
GHz and up as it is...... I wouldn't really like to have to carry _another_
band with me. Hopefully Bonus Bands would be scored separately from 10 Ghz and
10 GHz and up?

>  2.  New MULTIPLIER FACTOR for 24 GHz and higher.
>  Possibly add a rules change to include:
>  for the final score double (2X) the distance score for 24 GHz QSOs
>  for 47 GHz and 76 GHz  bands use,  a  4X   factor to the distance score.
>  for bands in the 120 GHz band and higher use a   10X   factor for
>  distance scores
>  Possibly a 10X factor for all bands above 10 GHz to encourage activity
>  and experimentation.

I like something like:
2x = 24 GHz
4x = 47/76 GHz
etc. This one is easy and overdue, IMHO.

>  3.    AERONAUTICAL MOBILE:  Proposed new rules change to ALLOW aeronautical
>  operations for the 2004 contest only. Possibly extend into the 2005,  10
>  GHz contest weekends.
>  The technology is here that would allow safe contest operation from an
>  airplane.

Would it be scored separately?

>  4.   SATELLITE OPERATIONS:  Allow any satellite qso with a uplink OR a
>  downlink frequency in the
>  10 GHz or higher bands or in the bonus band.

The only 10 GHz or higher Satellite available to us is 24 GHz as a downlink
via AO-40. This may change in time. There is S band down on AO-40.

>  Operator points count but the distance points are at a ( 0.1 X) 1/10th
>  scale factor to compensate for the line of sight
>  and repeater issues. Distances would be calculated between the 6 digit
>  grids of the terrestrial locations.

This doesn't work for me at 24 GHz. I think we have to look at perhaps a flat
number of points per contact or even a scale factor based on the distance of
the satellite from you.
Here's my reason..... If I work G3WDG from Mt Washington, that's IO92rm to
FN44ig for 5214.5km. 1/10th would be 521 km. Not a bad amount of points
considering the difficulty and the time constraints of the operational windows. A
typical K Band window on AO-40 is ~ 40 minutes....
BUT, consider if I work Stan, WA1ECF while he's at home. FN44ig to FN41sr.
That's 180 km. 1/10 would be 18 km!! Lot of work for little reward.
Oh, and you'd need to carry an extra band for an uplink. Either 70 cm or 1.2
GHz........
Also remember, Satellite 24 GHz downlink is 24,048 ! An additional receive
system is required. We need to think a bit more about this one. I'm all for
doing it, but then again, I already have K Band AO-40 receive equipment and have
worked 9 DXCC entities so far on K......

>  5.   Include the use of terrestrial microwave repeaters that operate on
>  the bonus band and all bands 10 GHz and higher.

I'm open to this one, but would it be scored separately?

Some good ideas Stan!

73,
Mike, N1JEZ
FN34im