Re: Hum help (Was Radio Shack Attenuators)

> Speaking of blank stares, I've got a 12V, 20 amp power supply that
> is generating a hum.  I understand that I can put a capacitor
> across the positive and negative terminals.  How big a capacitor
> should I use?

The general rule of thumb I heard about a million years ago was 1000
microfarads per amp of current draw.  However this applies to what you are
putting before a regulator or in an unregulated power supply.  To add
something to the output of an existing (I assume regulated) power supply,
you want quite a bit less than that.  A better bet would be to determine
why a previously working regulator is not doing so.

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org
Mobile Radio Operations