Re: 6 dB attenuator as a fuse

On Nov 5, 2003, at 12:41 PM, Wayne Estes W9AE wrote:

> Emily wrote:
>
> ...nor could it handle any power through it (which means put the 6db
> attenuator/fuse between it and the transceiver.)
>
> Wayne replies:
>
> Has anybody PROVEN that the Radio Shack 6 dB attenuator will protect a
> downconverter from accidental transmission?  That is, does the
> attenuator (fuse) ALWAYS open up BEFORE any devices in the
> downconverter are damaged?
>
> I suppose there could be a different answer for each model of
> downconverter.
>
> Wayne Estes
> Mundelein, IL, USA

Funny you should ask.  Just last night I was trying to talk on a 2M
repeater and couldn't understand why I wasn't making the
repeater.......

Here is my setup:

ICOM 910H (I was transmitting on High power)
100' Of RG6
RS -6 db Attenuator
AIDC Downconverter

The Downconverter is fine and I replaced the Pad and all is well.
Unfortunately I have done this twice so far.
I have never damaged the DC.

73
Barry
VA3BJD