Re: Field Day Advice Needed

Hi Tony,

During FD this year W4BOC made over 50 contacts on AO-40 with much the same setup as you propose. So you are on the right path.

Remember, the issue isn't that you can't <hear> AO-40 (that is what you mentioned...your receive system), it is that the AGC gets so high that AO-40 effectively can't hear <you>. The FT-847 has a 50 watt output on 70cm, so with a reasonalbly short feed line, you should be able to elbow your way in OK. It all depends on the operating conditions that day. (squint, distance, etc.).

YMMV.

Regards,
Steve Diggs, W4EPI