RE: Attenuator

Hi Drew,

Good point - I should have mentioned this.  I always keep the power
inserter last since you want as much attenuation between it and the rig,
not the other way around.  If I accidentally key up I don't want to blow
the inserter.

My setup looks like this:

Downconverter (dish mounted) over 50ft of RG-6 to inserter
 From inserter to a 1:2 splitter (3db loss here)
Splitter side A to 6db fixed attenuator to Icom 910H which has a variable
attenuator (usually set to 40 for the noise level to read S0
Splitter side B to 6db fixed attenuator to PCR-1000 which has a 10db fixed
attenuator

I will be going to RS today to buy the variable as it makes sense to turn
off the 10db fixed attenuator on the PCR-1000 and use a variable one.

73,

Emily

At 11:50 AM 11/4/2003 -0500, Drew Glasbrenner wrote:
>I've been using one of these since moving from a Drake to a TSI right
>after S1 died, and can tell you it will take brief 50 watt "accidents"
>pretty easily. Just don't do what I did first and put the inserter between
>it and the rig, because that most certainly doesn't work ;-). I guess the
>guys using internal preamp power up the coax are out of luck too. Seems
>simple but easy to overlook.
>
>73, Drew KO4MA

W0EEC - CM87tm
ARRL - AMSAT - MSARC - ARCA - Project OSCAR
http://www.projectoscar.net
http://www.emilyshouse.com/W0EEC
http://www.experthams.net/ao7