re: Remote Control of TH-F6 All mode [receive] HT

Yeah, i have that rig and have heard 90% of the active satellites with it
(in a low RF environment), given a suitable antenna (and you won't hear
much on HF without one).  I also have used it as a receiver with an AIDC
downconverter and a mesh-covered BBQ dish to work AO-40 QRP.  I find it
doesn't handle high RF environments well (works better in the country than
in the city) and isn't great at separating adjacent SSB/CW signals (more
an issue in the HF bands).

I've looked around for clues for software, and below are some links that
may be useful to homebrewing such.

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS:  PLEASE do not use this rig by itself for satellites,
		    it is NOT full-duplex and you're likely to cause QRM
		    unless you really know what you're doing!  You'll need
		    a separate transmiter to use this rig for satellites.

"Mods" page[s] for Kenwood F6A (available at many sites) has a fair amount
pf information, including how to make programming cables.  Here's one such
site:

    http://www.mods.dk/mods.php3?radio=kenwood&model=th-f6&selectid=all

Kenwood programming software (Windows only, once you have a suitable cable):

    http://www.kenwood.net/indexKenwood.cfm?do=SupportFileCategory&FileCatID=3

Links to installation instructions:

    http://www.hamradio.bc.ca/kenwood.html
    http://elkel.ca/kenwood_a/Readme_f6a.txt

An independent F6A programming manual (Kenwood doesn't publish the protocol):

    http://www.k6may.com/Downloads/THF6.pdf

I still haven't gotten around to programming this device.  I found out
that the polarity on its TTL-type interface is backwards from Yaesu
and thus from the ubiquitous MAX322 converter chip.  So far, i haven't
either gotten around to putting an LS04 in between or coming up with a
better solution.  I think an F6A could probably be connected with just
an simple adapter cable to a Macintosh.  But i don't have a suitable
antenna anywhere near my PowerPC, and its a noisy environment anyway
(besides me being clumsy and afraid to make some stupid mistake).

Since most new computers have USB interfaces and few laptops still have
conventional serial ports, i've picked up a PIC chip which talks USB,
that ought to talk to a F6A directly given suitable firmware (which i
think i can clone off of the PICkit source code).  But i still haven't
gotten around to doing that either.  If i do, i may do a simple-minded
controller for a Radio Shack-style rotor as part of the same interface,
as one really wants to do both to use it effectively for satellites. I
will let you if/when that happens.

The missing piece to the puzzle for me is the uplink, and i am still
looking for a homebrew solution for a 70cm SSB transmitter.