From: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org [mailto:owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org] On
Behalf Of DC
Sent: 31 October 2003 04:22
To: Amsat Bulletin Board
Subject: [amsat-bb] Younger satellite operators (was
Longevity-Satellite)

Some of us that are into satellites are 18....

Actually one of the reasons that I'm more interested in satellites than
other aspects of ham radio is that they are technically interesting even

to those of us of the "internet generation."  Amateur radio must and is
evolving to attract newer generations of radio operators.  Radio and
computers are becoming more and more intertwined and the new
possiblities resulting from this mix are what some of us younger hams
find very interesting.  For example, the idea of sending audio over
AO-40 in a 3600bps digital voice stream is a modern day radio
technological challenge that I have found very interesting thus far.
But even  the move conventional aspects of radio can be 'pretty cool,'
you'd be impressed at the number of my fellow (college) classmates that
are willing to help me carry a primestar dish up five flights of stairs
just to check out AO-40.  "You mean he's really in Spain?!?!"

As the operators change, so will radio---and I'm quite excited to see
what comes of it.
-David Carr
KD5QGR