AO-40 uplink

So after getting my recieve setup working and spend a few nights
listening its time to answer a few of those CQ calls.  My principle
question is:  Do I want a helix or crossed-yagis?  My recieve dish is a
primestar mounted on a hombrew az-el platform --- it could handle either
antenna.  As far as size goes anything less than 8-9 feet is okay.  Thus
far I have no all mode 70cm radio or amplifiers, how can I choose a
point between lower TX power and big antenna and high TX power smaller
antenna?  I might use this antenna as  the downlink for other sats
occasionally.  This leads me towards the yagis, however I'm eagerly
awaiting the opinions of the list.

73s
David Carr
KD5QGR